(The Way We Were, Robert Redford, Barbra Streisand, 1973)
Katie Morosky Gardner: Wouldn't it be wonderful if we were old? Then we could say we survived all this. Everything thing would be uncomplicated, the way it was when we were young?
Hubbell Gardner: Katie, it was never uncomplicated.
Hubbell loved Katie, he was hopelessy in love with her.
She was fun, intriguing, just the One for him, the One she had always looked for.
They felt inadequate to one another, more than once, they felt like they were meant to be, but still couldn't find a way to stay together.
Katie blamed Hubbell because he was satisfied of a simple life, because he didn't care of other people's pains and problems, he couldn't get committed or angry.
Hubbell thought Katie was taking everything too seriously, she committed too much, she was never ever able to relax or to just be.
Katie Morosky Gardner: I don't have the right style for you do I?
Hubbell Gardner: No you don't have the right style.
Katie Morosky Gardner: I'll change.
Hubbell Gardner: No, don't change. You're your own girl, you have your own style.
Katie Morosky Gardner: But then I won't have you. Why can't I have you?
Hubbell Gardner: Because you push too hard, every damn minute. There's no time to ever relax and enjoy living. Every things too serious to be so serious.
Katie Morosky Gardner: If I push too hard it's because I want things to be better, I want us to be better, I want you to be better. Sure I make waves you have I mean you have to. And I'll keep making them till your everything you should be and will be. You'll never find anyone as good for you as I am, to believe in you as much as I do or to love you as much.
Hubbell Gardner: I know that.
Katie Morosky Gardner: Well then why?
Hubbell Gardner: Do you think if I come back its going to be okay by magic? What's going to change? What's going to be different? We'll both be wrong, we'll both lose.
Katie Morosky Gardner: Couldn't we both win?
Hubbell and Katie break up. They cannot bear the anger, the fights, the sense of being unable to make one another happy.
Hubbell finds another girl, a simple girl with straight hair, she is the “simple” girl. The one that requires no “getting to know”, she’s gorgeous, yet simple. She is not dumb, at all, she is just not eccentric, not incredibly unique as Katie.
Katie Morosky Gardner: Your girl is lovely, Hubbell. Why don't you bring her for a drink when you come?
Hubbell Gardner: I can't come, Katie. I can't...
Katie Morosky Gardner: I know...
Hubbell will always be in love with Katie, but they will never get back together, because he feels he could never live up to her standards of him.
Every girl has “the girl” before them and unless they meet their soul mate, there will always be “the girl” after them.
After those relationships that promise you all the happiness in the world, but then end in the most tragic way, some take time to heal, while others just jump into whatever comes there way next.
Something inevitable, the new girl, exists in his world, someone who probably doesn't make him think too much.
But, out there in the world there are Simple girls. And Katie girls.
I am a Katie girl.
Comments
So we will always be Katies.